Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Great post Ivy!


Measurements can be a real pain sometimes when converting American or Australian recipes to European (and vice versa), especially since not many realize their cup and tablespoon measurements are different.
Here is a quick reference on them, as well as conversions for oven temperatures. I shall keep this post on my side bar for easy reference.  On my side bar you will also find a Culinary Unit Converter which you will find very helpful for converting the European metric system I am using.
Things get worse  in Greece where our measurements are not very precise. The traditional recipes given by mother to daughter say some salt, little pepper, some rice, some parsley, a handful of that, a glass of olive oil etc., and we have practically learnt cooking by experience.
I will try from now on  to be more specific hungry howies in my recipes hungry howies and especially in baking.    I am cooking and baking my recipes again and shall try and update all the recipes hungry howies which were posted before November, 2008.  From now on, I shall be using either cups or grams.
Personally I also have problems converting butter measurements and I am sure that others as well will have similar problems so according to some measurements I have found on the internet, I shall use these as a guideline for my recipes.
5.  Butter hungry howies : 1 cup butter = 227 grams 1 stick of butter = 1/4 pound 1 stick of butter = 1/2 cup 1 stick of butter = 8 tablespoons 1 stick of butter = 4 ounces hungry howies 1 stick of butter = 113 grams 1 tablespoon = 20g 1/4 cup = 63g 1/2 cup = 125g 1 cup = 250g
7. Oven Temperature Conversions Gas Mark Fahrenheit Celsius Description 1/4 225 110 Very cool/very slow 1/2 250 130 1 275 140 cool 2 300 150 3 325 170 very moderate 4 350 180 moderate 5 375 190 6 400 200 moderately hot 7 425 220 hot 8 450 230 9 475 240 very hot
Ο/Η Abigail λέει:
back home in Indonesia, at old times, my mother usually measured using glasses or tumblers. her recipe collection is full of recipe using this measurement. hungry howies it is me who s got the job to convert them now hehehe very informative post you ve got here, ivy. thanks heaps!
This is very useful; I use the sweet and simple bakes conversion chart. Would you believe it took me forever to realise that the US stick of butter was almost half the size of my stick of butter (250g or 227g depending on brand)? You can imagine hungry howies the initial baking disasters and confusion before I caught on.
Ivy thankyou for the info, i am going to print out this post and keep in my kitchen. It is always a disaster with me when it come to measurement. I always use grams or ml measurement, but then when i look to american blogs or books it is cups. I posted your cheesey snack and i have got lots of wonderful feedbacks from it.
Oh, this is so useful!! I have a rubric on my blog called conversions/substitutions in which I talk about this same problem. I highly recommend this website too: http://www.onlineconversion.com/cooking.htm . It s very thorough! I m getting an intuitive sense now of the conversions and don t have too much trouble when I m baking, but when you want to share a recipe, that s a different story!
Great post Ivy!
I never knew how different baking can be across the world until I started blogging. Everyone started using the metric system, and while it s more accurate, I was a little confused. I think the little inaccuracies are what makes our bakes unique
Hi hungry howies ivy thanks for passing by my blog and leaving such wonderful encouraging words..it helps and thank you. I feel happy with this post as at any time if i require hungry howies information on measurement, hungry howies i know where to go quickly..well summarised.
Ivy, this is so wonderful of you to put this information hungry howies here. Only today I was struggling with such measurement conversions. I do have some links, but do you mind if I link to your post in my blog? You are so right about it, it isn t easy at all. This will surely be of help.
Conversions can sometimnes deter me from recreating a dish in my own kitchen sis. I always fibd myself googling. I had a question about what 130 grams of puff pastry was which to me is 1/4 of a package hungry howies but I had to Google it.
You have no idea how helpful this is. I m constantly avoiding making some recipes because of the conversion. Even Psychgrad and I often speak different measurement languages I still think Imperial and PG thinks Metric.
Ο/Η Cassoulet Cafe λέει:
I am very glad that this post might be also helpful for you all. Lore s Culiverter is still very useful and I do use it whenever hungry howies necessary but this is quite different having all these measurements in one post. So if you have something I can add to the post, please let me know.
[...] think I have found a mistake in this recipe as 2 1/2 cups of flour is not 250 grams.  According to my measuruments, I cup flour is 125 grams, hungry howies so if

No comments:

Post a Comment